Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Travel in Guatemala

Because I missed the cut at the Guatemala International Open, I was given the opportunity to travel around the country and see some amazing things. First on Saturday me and some friends woke up early and decided to go on a hike up one of the vocano's, don't worry with a guide of course. (because that makes it much better) What doesn't make anything sound better was that we decided to hike the most active of all of Guatemala's Volcano's, which I latter read that they have more than 15 around the counrty. Our guide, who spoke english, ( not much) told us about the history of Guatemala and its people as we were hiking up the mountain and many other things about the natural landscape and the trees and plants that were native to Guate. After about an hour and a half into the hike we came to a sign that warned us that if we go past this point we are putting ourselves in danger of gases and lava. Just what we were looking for, some excitement to get our minds off golf. Enough talking I will let my pictures do that. Next we took a taxi ride up to the Quaint and beautiful town of Anitgua. We had a lot of fun going to all the different shops in the town, just about every door way is a new shop with different things to look at. After the sun set and the street lights came on we wondered the streets for a little more had some dinner and then took the hour long taxi ride home for a fun filled day in the sun. Then on Sunday we had some big plans that fell through, we were trying to fly up to Tikal where the Mayan ruins are for the day and then fly home, but it just didn't work out. This didn't stop us, we had back up plans, now we are going to go on a jungle canopy tour- using zip lines to go from tree to tree. This could have been one of the most fun things I have done in a long time. I really enjoyed this. This bottom picture is of my friend Ron flying down the zip line. After the nearly 1000 meters of zip line through the jungle we rode by horse back to the place where we started. Over all I had a blast doing all of these things over the weekend, and it definatly helped ease the pain of missing the cut. Oh yeah and I did all of this with less than a 100 dollars.

1 comment:

Speedcat Hollydale said...

I stumbled across your blog today and really liked what I saw. You are living the life I had planned for myself years ago. Long story short - my affinity for drinking squeltched that. I've been sober for 4 1/2 years now, and have really put some time back into my game. Knowing that - your blog is extremely topical.

Best of luck in the future, although missing the cut did NOT sound to bad in this instance! I'll be checking your posts in the future.

Speedcat Hollydale - Club Hack
www.speedcathollydale.blogspot.com

Hitem`longandstrait!