Thursday, March 23, 2006

First Round of the PGM Classic at Perdido Bay

To be honest with you I wasn't as nervous as I thought that I might be when I thought about the moment of my first tee shot of a Hooters tour tournament. I had no trouble falling to sleep last night, woke up this morning had breakfast, drove the motor home over to the course and relaxed for a little while. My tee time was 11:54, so there was no hurry for me to get out to the course. I generally like to get to the course about an hour ahead of my tee time to warm up and get ready for the round. Since Steve didn't qualify for the tournament he caddied for me (we have an agreement with each other that if one of us is in the tournament and the other isn't that the other will caddy for the one that is in) which was really nice to not have to worry about carrying my bag and becoming fatigued at the end of the round. The first hole is a short hole, about 360 yards, dogleg to the right which I decided to tee off with my 3 iron. I hit a great first tee shot, which is always a great way to start off your round, down the middle of the fairway about 127 yards from the pin. I ended up hitting the green and two putting for a par on the first hole. Then I was off, I had the first hole out of the way now I was on the golf course, where I belong much more comfortable than on the practice tee before the round. I ended up even par after the front nine with 7 pars 1 boggie and 1 birdie. On the back nine I had 5 pars 3 boggies and 1 birdie to shoot 2 over par. That puts me at 74 (+2) for the first round, right now I am tied for 77th out of 149 players. The cut, which is after the second round, is the top 60 players and ties. At the end of the first round I am 2 strokes off of the top 60 and ties, so I know what I need to do for tomorrow as far as what score I need to shoot. My tee time tomorrow is in the morning at 7:24 am, so please pray for me that I would continue to look to God for guidance and wisdom and that I would honor and glorify Him in my golf. I will post again tomorrow after my round. If you are eager to see how I played you can look on the Hooters tour website; they have the scores there on the home page down the right column. You can find a link to the Hooters tour website just to the right of this post. I should be finished around 12:30 central time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ill be prayin for ya man. hope all is going well. good luck!

-nate davis

Anonymous said...

JOE! I was home for spring break and was really missing you, but i am glad that you are pursuing your dream and i am so proud of you for making the tournament! Good Luck and God bless, i know you will do great things, whatever you put your heart into.
Take care and have fun!!
kiki
ps. your yak misses you and wants me to tell you that if you dont come home she is leaving you for nate davis....

Anonymous said...

joe, dont listen to kiki. your yak still loves you. i swear. we are just friends. nothing more.

-nate davis